Kansas City 2013
FINAL Deadline March 25
New Orleans & Baton Rouge
Recovery School District
(New Orleans & Baton Rouge)
FINAL Deadline April 29
Jefferson Parish School District
(Greater New Orleans)
FINAL Deadline May 22
FINAL Deadline March 25
Washington, D.C. 2013
FINAL Deadline May 6
Endorse a Teacher-Leader
Fall 2012 | Cohort 2013
The Leading Educators Fellowship is a highly competitive program for teacher-leaders. We are interested in learning how the candidate has demonstrated leadership at your school.
Through your formal letter of recommendation we look forward to learning how the candidate has impacted student achievement and the performance of other adults at your school. Also, we would like to know about opportunities that the candidate will have to lead other teachers to increase their impact on student achievement. Please note that candidates for Leading Educators must have responsibility for impacting the results of at least two other faculty members at the school. In particular, your letter should answer the following questions:
- How has the candidate impacted student achievement and the performance of other adults at your school?
- How will you support the candidate to lead other teachers to increase their impact on student achievement?
Please upload your formal letter of recommendation using the form below.
For your reference, we have included the eligibility requirements for participation in the Leading Educators Fellowship below the form.
To ensure that teacher-leaders maximize their impact on student achievement, it is important that all candidates and schools meet the eligibility criteria. If you’re unsure whether you or your school is eligible, please feel free to contact us.
- Candidates must have:
- Formal or informal responsibility for impacting the results of at least two other faculty members at the school.
- Outstanding results as a teacher as measured by classroom observations and/or student achievement.
- A minimum of two years of teaching experience.
- A sponsoring Principal submit a Letter of Recommendation using the 'Endorse a Teacher-Leader' form.
- Teacher-leaders we serve have responsibilities including:
- Leading grade level meetings
- Leading department meetings
- Analyzing data to improve instruction
- Observing teachers and offering feedback
- Planning professional development
- Coaching other teachers
- Monitoring and improving student culture
- Coordinating Response to Intervention systems
- Coordinating parent and family engagement
- Coordinating Special Education Services
- Coordinating English as a Second Language Services
- Roles we serve include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Department Chairs
- Grade Level Chairs
- Instructional Coaches
- Whole-school roles such as Deans of Students or Special Education Coordinators
- Teacher-leaders who lead initiatives that impact at least two other faculty
- Candidates must be:
- Able to attend a half-day Interview and Assessment Saturday.
- Able to attend the Induction Saturday, the week-long Summer Intensive, and formal training throughout the 2013 – 2014 Academic Year as specified in the Fellowship Calendar.
- Planning to remain in their school for the duration of the Fellowship and remain committed to serving in high need schools for at least five years.
- Excited to plan and implement a Leader Impact Project at their school designed to raise student achievement with other teachers the candidate is responsible for leading and supporting.
- Excited to give ten days of volunteer time within five years of completing the Fellowship to activities such as mentoring current Fellows, collaborating with other alumni, and working to maintain a strong national network of teacher-leaders.
- Eligible schools must be public, open enrollment and meet ONE of the following criteria:
- More than 70% of students receive Free or Reduced Priced School Meals OR
- Student achievement falls below desired levels and teacher-leaders can have a dramatic impact in efforts to raise achievement
- To ensure program success Principals must:
- Support the conditions and costs of the Fellowship.
- Serve as a point of contact or appoint a liaison to work with the Leading Educators Team.
- Participate in a 360 evaluation to provide measures of the teacher-leaders growth (three times in the two-year Fellowship).
- Allow access to anonymous student achievement data to assess the academic impact of the teacher-leader on his or her team of teachers.
- Allow the teacher-leader to be excused from school responsibilities for up to three days each school year to engage in Leading Educators professional development opportunities.
We at Leading Educators recognize that you balance many important responsibilities and thank you for your investment and time in endorsing this candidate.